Which is better, a capacitive touchscreen or a resistive touchscreen? That is a critical issue for retailers and restaurant operators to ask when assessing point-of-sale systems. Understanding the advantages and downsides of each choice will help you make a more informed decision, so let’s examine both.
Advantages of Capacitive Touchscreen
• Provides simple, adaptable operation. A capacitive touchscreen is made up of two layers of glass that have been covered with a conductor material such as iridium tin oxide. The conductor agent is triggered by the touch of a human finger or a pen with a specific tip on the screen. This alters the local electrostatic field, signaling the system precisely where the area, number, or icon on the screen has been touched. Additionally, a capacitive touchscreen offers a multi-touch, which entails simultaneously pressing an icon and enlarging an image on the screen.
• Highlights a greater degree of contrast. A capacitive touchscreen is easier to view.
• Allows for more precise input. Because the capacitive touchscreen technology has little or no room to interpret information incorrectly, the possibility of errors—whether in the transaction or the detail of a customer order—is limited.
• Provides increased durability. A capacitive touchscreen may be more durable in some aspects than a resistive touchscreen. Why? Typically, frequently used portions of a capacitive touchscreen do not degrade and become unresponsive with time and intensive use. Additionally, a scratched, pierced, or broken capacitive touchscreen will continue to function. This can happen if staff attempt to operate the gadget with something other than their finger or stylus, if they tap the glass excessively hard, or if a mobile device is dropped. This is not the case with a resistive touchscreen, which typically ceases to function once the surface is damaged.
Because a capacitive touchscreen continues to function even after it has been damaged, there is no need to halt store or restaurant operations to replace it. This reduces consumer annoyance and lost sales.
• Is future-proof. A capacitive touchscreen is gradually becoming the preferred option for producers of point-of-sale devices. As a result, selecting point-of-sale equipment with capacitive touchscreens facilitates future enhancements and ensures compatibility with new equipment.
WATCH THE VIDEO
The Benefits of Resistive Touchscreens
• Is the most often accepted. A resistive touchscreen is made up of two flexible layers of material sandwiched together by an air layer. When a little amount of pressure is applied to the top layer, sufficient to bring it into contact with the bottom layer, it registers input (the specific place of the touch). Because the resistive touchscreen’s two layers of material are synthetic rather than glass, its surface is more prone to scratching and wear than the capacitive touchscreen’s surface.
• Is less expensive than the capacitive touchscreen counterpart. As a result of the latter’s more complicated technological framework, this is to be expected.
• Reacts to a variety of different forms of touch. A resistive touchscreen will record input from gloved or bare fingertips, as opposed to capacitive touchscreens, which require the touch of a special stylus or bare finger. A resistive touchscreen, which has more sensors per inch than a capacitive touchscreen, may also register input from a fine point of contact.
• Has a lower touch sensitivity than a capacitive touchscreen. A touchscreen with a very high degree of touch sensitivity may be a desirable feature. This is not necessarily a benefit in circumstances where “stray” stimuli such as liquid spills and spatters can lead the terminal to react inadvertently.
Both capacitive and resistive touchscreens have several significant advantages. Indeed, their application is entirely dependent on the environment in which your organization operates and how you intend to use your touchscreen devices. By utilizing the knowledge we’ve provided, you’ll gain a greater understanding of these benefits and will be more confident in making the best choice for your unique business.
Golden Margins –
Entire Range of Touchscreen Products
We hope you found these touchscreen or panel PCs fundamentals informative. Goldenmargins offers a broad selection of Industrial Touchscreen Monitors and Touch Panel PCs in various sizes and configurations, including medical touch screens, sunlight-readable touch screens, open-frame touch screens, and waterproof touch panels, as well as other unique touch screen or panel PC designs. You can learn more about our services HERE or by calling us at +86 755 23191996.